Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Idea 5.2 and subversion installed

I've finally gotten around to starting my XmlEditor project. I plan to create a swing app that validates an xml file against an xsd. I also plan to allow the app to allow editing of the file to fix errors. This project will introduce me to swing and also to the java nio classes. I'm not sure if it's necessary to use nio but it's something I've been meaning to learn/use for a loooong time so we'll see how it goes.

Before I start my project, I want to make sure I have a revision control system (as encouraged in the pragmatic programming series) on my machine so I downloaded and installed subversion. The new version of Idea has subversion support built in so I upgraded from 4.5 to 5.1. It was a breeze to import settings and existing projects. I chose subversion because I already know cvs and wanted to try something new. I've heard the branching system makes a lot more sense and is a lot faster but I doubt I'll need branches for this small project. It took me around 20 days to finally start this project so let's see when it's finally finished :)

No comments: